Google Tag Manager (GTM) is Google’s free tool for everyone to manage and deploy analytics and marketing tags as well as other code snippets
using an intuitive web UI. To learn more about this tool, visit the official website.
This plugin places the GTM container code snippets onto your wordpress website so that you do not need to add this manually.
Multiple containers are also supported!
The plugin complements your GTM setup by pushing page meta data and user information into the so called data layer.
Google’s official help pages includes more details about the data layer.
You can also add your Google Optimize container with the recommended code setup
Some parts of the plugin require PHP 5.6 newer.
PHP 7.0 or newer is recommended.
Please note that PHP versions 7.2 or older already reached their end of life cycle thus it is recommended to upgrade. If you are not sure which version you are using, please contact your hosting provider for support.
GTM container code placement
The original GTM container code is divided into two parts:
<head> section of every page of the website.
This part is critical to enable all features of GTM, and this plugin helps to place this part
correctly on your site.
Google recommends – for best performance – to place this code snippet directly after the opening
<body> tag on each page.
Albeit not ideal, it will work when placed lower in the code. This plugin provides a code placement option for the second code snippet.
If your WordPress theme is compatible with the additions of WordPress 5.2 then this plugin will place this second code to the right place.
Users of the Genisis theme, GeneratePress theme, Elementor, Oxygen Builder and Beaver Builder Theme will also have this placed correctly.
To utilize this, use the “Codeless” placement option.
All other users can place this second code snippet using a custom PHP code (“Custom” placement option) or select the so called “Footer” option to
add the code lower in the code (it is not the recommended way but will work)
Basic data included
- post/page titles
- post/page dates
- post/page category names
- post/page tag names
- post/page author ID and name
- post/page ID
- post types
- post count on the current page + in the current category/tag/taxonomy
- custom terms associated with any post type
- logged in status
- logged in user role
- logged in user ID (to track cross device behaviour in Google Analytics)
- logged in user email address (to comply with GTM terms of service do not pass this on to Google tags)
- logger in user creation date
- site search data
- site name and id (for WordPress multisite instances)
- IP address of the visitor (please use the explicit consent of the visitor to utilize this)
Browser / OS / Device data
- browser data (name, version, engine)
- OS data (name, version)
- device data (type, manufacturer, model)
Data is provided using the WhichBrowser library: http://whichbrowser.net/
Push data about users’ current weather conditions into the dataLayer. This can be used to generate weather-related
audience/remarketing lists on ad platforms and allows for user segmentation in your web analytics solutions:
- weather category (clouds, rain, snow, etc.)
- weather description: more detailed data
- temperature in Celsius or Fahrenheit
- air pressure
- wind speed and degrees
Weather data is queried from Open Weather Map. Depending on your websites traffic, additional fees may apply:
An (free) API key from OpenWeatherMap is required for this feature to work.
ipstack.com is used to determine the site visitor’s location. A (free) API key from IPStack.com is required for this feature to work:
Media player events
Track users’ interaction with any embedded media:
DataLayer events can be chosen to fire upon media player load, media is being played, paused/stopped and optionally when
the user reaches 10, 20, 30, …, 90, 100% of the media duration.
Tracking is supported for embedded media using the built-in oEmbed feature of WordPress as well as most other media plugins
and copy/pasted codes. Players injected into the website after page load are not currently supported.
Fire tags based on how the visitor scrolls from the top to the bottom of a page.
An example would be to separate “readers” (who spend a specified amount of time on a page) from “scrollers”
(who only scroll through within seconds). You can use these events to fire Analytics tags and/or remarketing/conversion tags
(for micro conversions).
Scroll tracking is based on the solution originally created by
- Nick Mihailovski
- Thomas Baekdal
- Avinash Kaushik
- Joost de Valk
- Eivind Savio
- Justin Cutroni
Google Ads remarketing
Google Tag Manager for WordPress can add each dataLayer variable as a Google Ads remarketing custom parameter list.
This enables you to build sophisticated remarketing lists.
Blacklist & Whitelist Tag Manager tags, triggers and variables
To increase website security, you have the option to white- and blacklist tags/triggers/variables.
You can prevent specific tags from firing or the use of certain variable types regardless of your GTM setup.
If the Google account associated with your GTM account is being hacked, an attacker could easily
execute malware on your website without accessing its code on your hosting server. By blacklisting custom HTML tags
Google Tag Manager for WordPress integrates with several popular plugins. More integration to come!
- Contact Form 7: fire an event when a Contact Form 7 form was submitted with any result (mail sent, mail failed, spam detected, invalid input)
- Classic e-commerce (deprecated):
- fire an event when visitors add products to their cart
- capture transaction data to be passed to your ad platforms and/or Analytics
- capture necessary remarketing parameters for Google Ads Dynamic Remarketing
- Enhanced e-commerce:
- Classic e-commerce (deprecated):
- Google Optimize: load your Google Optimize container directly from your website with the ability to use the data layer variables provided during page load
- AMP: load your AMP container on the AMP version of your pages
Server side containers
If you are using a server side container
you can enter your custom domain name to load gtm.js from your there.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Go to Settings / Google Tag Manager and enter your Google Tag Manager container ID and set additional options
அடிக்கடி கேட்கப்படும் கேள்விகள்
How can I …
Tutorials for various Google Tag Manager settings and implementation are available on my website:
PayPal / 3rd party payment gateway transactions in WooCommerce are not being tracked in Google Analytics
PayPal and some other 3rd party payment gateways do not redirect users back to your website upon successful transaction by default.
It offers the route back for your customer but it can happen that users close the browser before arriving at your thankyou page
(aka. order received page). This means that neither Google Analytics tags or any other tags have the chance to fire.
Enable auto-return in your payment gateway settings. This will instruct them to show a quick info page after payment
and redirect the user back to your site. This will improve the accuracy and frequency of tracked transactions.
Why isn’t there an option to blacklist tag/variable classes
Although Google recommends to blacklist tags and variables using classes, people struggle to know
which tags/variables gets affected. Therefore I opted for individual tags and variables rather than classes
on the blacklist tabs.
Regarding variables; ensure they are not part of any critical tags as blacklisting such variables will render said tags useless.
How can I track scroll events in Google Tag Manager?
Google Tag Manager supports basic scroll depth tracking based on percentage or pixels natively. This plugin adds
additional scroll tracking events, more focused on capturing the users’ intent and/or engagement.
There are five dataLayer events you can use in your rule definitions:
- gtm4wp.reading.articleLoaded: the content has been loaded
- gtm4wp.reading.startReading: the visitor started to scroll. The
timeToScrolldataLayer variable stores duration since the article loaded (in seconds)
- gtm4wp.reading.contentBottom: the visitor reached the end of the content (not the page!).
timeToScrolldataLayer variable updated
- gtm4wp.reading.pagebottom: the visitor reached the end of the page.
timeToScrolldataLayer variable updated
- gtm4wp.reading.readerType: based on time spent since article loaded we determine whether the user is a ‘scanner’ or ‘reader’ and store this in the
Example use cases: using these events as triggers, you can fire Google Universal Analytics and/or Google Ads remarketing/conversion tags
to report micro conversions and/or to serve ads only to visitors who spend more time reading your content.
Can I exclude certain user roles from being tracked?
This is easily managed through GTM itself. If you want to exclude logged in users or users with certain user roles,
use the corresponding dataLayer variable (visitorType) and an exclude filter in Google Tag Manager.
பங்களிப்பாளர்கள் & உருவாக்குனர்கள்
“GTM4WP” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.பங்களிப்பாளர்கள்
- Fixed: GTM ID not properly set in noscript tag (probably fixes some 403 errors with firewalls too)
This plugin version does not add or update any functionality.
After recent events, the code of the plugin has been checked line by line to see where additional security checks can be added.
The code has been formatted to better support readability for other programmers.
* gtm4wp_get_the_gtm_tag hook and the corresponding GTM4WP_WPFILTER_GETTHEGTMTAG PHP constant.
* gtm4wp_add_global_vars hook and the corresponding GTM4WP_WPFILTER_ADDGLOBALVARS PHP constant. Use gtm4wp_add_global_vars_array / GTM4WP_WPFILTER_ADDGLOBALVARS_ARRAY instead.
* gtm4wp_after_datalayer hook and the corresponding GTM4WP_WPACTION_AFTER_DATALAYER PHP constant. Use gtm4wp_output_after_datalayer / GTM4WP_WPACTION_AFTER_DATALAYER instead witch can be used in the same way but it is an action instead of a filter.
Upcoming version will come with important changes:
* Minimum PHP version will be raised to 7.4: this will allow me to add even more safety measures
* Minimum supported WooCommerce version will be raised to WooCommerce 5.0: with this I can remove some very old compatibility code
* Deprecated features will be removed (aims to simplify code for better maintenance):
* Do not track flag of the browser added into data layer
* Legacy version of WooCommerce dynamic remarketing (using ecomm_ parameters)
The goal of all these changes aim to keep the plugin code clean and free from legacy solutions.
- Deprecated option: ‘do not track’ flag of the browser. This browser feature itself is now deprecated
Full scan of the plugin is also in works to fix any other possible XSS issue.
- Fixed: possible XSS Vulnerability if Cloudflare country code option enabled. Thanks Guillaume Fortier
- Fixed: proven XSS Vulnerability if adding site search into the data layer was enabled. Original report by not_stoppable. Root cause analysis by Cory Buecker.
- Removed: deprecated feature Google Ads remarketing. This is the outdated, classic way using the google_tag_params variable.
- Dev: removed PHP constant GTM4WP_WPFILTER_COMPILE_REMARKTING (related to removed Google Ads remarketing feature)
- Dev: removed gtm4wp_compile_remarkering WordPress filter (related to removed Google Ads remarketing feature)
Note to plugin users: I sincerely appologize for the vulnerabilities. To make sure, such cases do not happen again,
the next version will be fully dedicacted to go through every peace of code and make sure proper data processing is happening in GTM4WP.
- Added: pagePostType data layer variable will now return 404-error on 404 pages and search-results on search result pages
- Added: Google Tag Manager container code can be disabled for specific WordPress user roles under Advanced plugin options. A browser console warning will be shown in such cases to prevent confusion
- Added: support for all Contact Form 7 events for more granual tracking: gtm4wp.contactForm7MailSent, gtm4wp.contactForm7MailFailed, gtm4wp.contactForm7SpamDetected, gtm4wp.contactForm7InvalidInput
- Added: additional data layer variables for date attributes: pagePostDateDayName, pagePostDateHour, pagePostDateMinute, pagePostDateIso, pagePostDateUnix – by ajtatum
- Fixed: unclickable products in WooCommerce product lists in Firefox when visiting site in Strict privacy mode or using private browsing
- Fixed: tracking step 2 on WooCommerce checkout page was broken
- Updated: removed CDATA blocks as they are not required in simple HTML and they break some cases where code optimizer is being used
- Updated: products per impression in WooCommerce integration now defaults to 10 instead of 0. This allows view_item_list event to fire on new sites as well
- Updated: code placement options. Separated container on/off option and replaced code placement with the new terminology: compatibility mode
- Updated: changed ‘Do not flag orders as being tracked’ description to be more precise about what happens if turned on or left off
- Updated: if you enter your custom domain name for server side tagging with the https:// prefix, it will be removed before domain name validation
- Updated: all script blocks to be ignored by Cookiebot if this integration is enabled
- Updated: do not track WooCommerce order where payment failed
- Fixed: undefined google_business_vertical
- Fixed: missing product price in product impression data
- Fixed: better compatibility with cache plugins and lazy load functionalities
- Fixed: Added optional chaining operator to form move tracker code
- Added: support for tracking WooCommerce Block based product lists, except the “All Products” block
- Added: support for new_customer parameter for Google Smart Shopping campaigns
- Added: SHA256 hashed versions of data layer variables containing email addresses: customerBillingEmailHash on WooCommerce order received pages and visitorEmailHash on generic uses cases
- Added: WooCommerce – if for some reason is_order_received_page() reports false on the order received page, woocommerce_thankyou hook will be used as backup
- Updated: removed jQuery dependency from plugin modules: contact form 7 integration, form move tracker, Vimeo, YouTube, Soundcloud, partly WooCommerce
- Updated: moved the hidden helper span element in products lists to the end of the product box to make more compatible with themes
- Updated: more consistent retrieval of product categories – by Dekadinious
- Updated: gtm4wp_product_readded_to_cart cookie replaced with a WooCommerce session variable to use fewer cookies in this plugin
- Updated: gtm4wp_user_logged_in, gtm4wp_user_registered and gtm4wp_last_weatherstatus cookies are now HTTP only cookies
- Updated: replaced deprecated jQuery method and event usage in WP admin
- Updated: added rel=”noopener” to links pointing to external sites on WP admin page
- Updated: Hiding the iframe tag from assistive technologies as it provides no functionality for the end user. This will also alleviate a11y audit warnings.
- Fixed: proper values for visitorType data layer variable
- Fixed: replaced unsafe usage of eval() in WooCommerce QuickView plugin integration
- Fixed: type check of the order ID obtained from a cookie before using the value
- Fixed: navigation issues in Safari if browser loads previous page from cache. GTM4WP will now force Safari to always reload pages.
- Fixed: Do not trigger browser change event in WooCommerce checkout page submit event handler. It caused issues with other 3rd party plugins.
- Fixed: HTML5 detection. – by Sjoerd
- Fixed: Username not included in datalayer if no other user attribute is included – by StaymanHou
- Fix: better PHP8 compatibility
- Fix: PHP notice on admin page
If you are using the geo or weather options of this plugin, make sure your hosting is using PHP 7.0 or newer!
If you are using the WooCommerce integration with enhanced ecommerce, once again you will need to update your GTM container.
Please check the setup article to see what needs to be changed.
The goal is to keep this setup in the upcoming versions.
- Added: Google Business Vertical option to populate Google Ads dynamic remarketing
- Added: Make automatic cookie blocking mode of Cookiebot to work with your Google Tag Manager container (new option in the Integration tab)
- Added: support for server side containers with custom domains
- Added: improved duplacate WooCommerce order tracking prevention by also checking the age of the order. You can adjust the value in minutes on the plugin options page – by Code-Craze
- Fixed: prices rounded to 2 decimals in the data layer (WooCommerce integration)
- Fixed: select_item event fired multiple times (at least twice)
- Fixed: frontend protection to preveent double tracking transactions had a bug
- Fixed: missing product detail and first checkout step tracking in WooCommerce shops with Enhanced Ecommerce
- Updated: WhichBrowser v2.1.1 (requires PHP 7.0 or newer)
- Updated: descriptions of WooCommerce tracking methods to emphasize the importance to migrate from standard to enhanced ecommerce
- Updated: added links to enhanced ecommerce setup guides (GA3 and GA4)
No new or updated functionality, but updated WooCommerce compatibility.
If you are using the WooCommerce integration and enhanced ecommerce, please update your ecommerce event trigger to include gtm4wp.orderCompletedEEC as well.
If you are upgrading from 1.11.x, please read the previous changelog entry for v1.12
- Fixed: error message in WooCommerce integration on PHP 8 hosts
- Fixed: PHP notice about non existing blacklist-enable array key
If you are upgrading from 1.11.x, please read the previous changelog entry for v1.12
- Fixed: PHP notice while saving admin options
If you are using the blacklist/whitelist feature of the plugin, review these options after upgrade as they could break because of a fundamental rework of this feature.
- Added: support for Google Analytics 4 version of ecommerce data layer
- Fixed: safer IP address validation in geo and weather data features
- Updated: removed deprecated events: download links, email links, social links -> such can be now tracked with native Google Tag Manager triggers
- Updated: removed support for WooCommerce versions before v3.2
- Updated: ‘Blacklist tags’ tab renamed to ‘Security’
- Updated: complete rework of blacklist/whitelist feature to use the latest tag/trigger/variable list of Google
- Deprecated: classic ecommerce tracking will be removed later this year, please upgrade to enhanced ecommerce tracking
- Deprecated: standard Google Ads remarketing variable will be removed soon as the Google Ads remarketing tag template can easily use any of your Google Tag Manager variables
- Deprecated: the old fashioned way of using Google Ads remarketing with the ecomm_ prefixed data layer variables will be removed soon. Instructions for upgrade will be published on gtm4wp.com once this feature gets updated in an upcoming plugin version
- Fixed: do not track hidden products in the cart in WooCommerce shops
- Fixed: do not fire add to cart event if button is in a disabled state
- Fixed: fixed translation of an admin text
- Fixed: needs_shipping_address() calls were sometimes broken in WooCommerce shops, added additional checks to prevent
- Updated: removed the body_class method of adding the iframe/noscript container code (page builders and the standard wp_body_open hook remains supported)
- Fixed: new Google Optimize container ID format accepted now
- Fixed: fire gtm4wp.checkoutStepEEC and gtm4wp.checkoutOptionEEC events if there is only one shipping method available and it is hidden from the user
- Fixed: decrease checkout step numbers 3 and 4 if shipping destination is set to ‘Force shipping to the customer billing address’ in WooCommerce. This way there will be no gap in Checkout behaviour report in Google Analytics.
- Updated: tested version number for WooCommerce
- Fixed: use var_export instead of var_dump in some debug code,
- Fixed: apply WooCommerce option for tax inclusion on the order received page as well
- Updated: do not add type attribute to script elements if theme suppors HTML5
- Updated: tested version numbers for WordPress and WooCommerce
If you are upgrading directly from v1.10.x, please read the changelog of v1.11 since it includes many important notices!
No change in plugin code, WP.org deployment of v1.11.1 included wrong directories
If you are upgrading directly from v1.10.x, please read the changelog of v1.11 since it includes many important notices!
- Fixed: PHP notice about undefined order_items variable if the new ‘Order data in data layer’ is turned off
- Fixed: PHP notice about missing brand array key if no brand taxonomy is selected in GTM4WP options
Please read the changelog very carefully as there are many important changes and removed features which could need your attention before updating!
- Added Oxygen Builder and Beaver Builder Theme support – you can now use the codeless placement option without issues
- Added ability to fix the Google Tag Manager ID and GTM Environment parameters in wp-config.php. To use it, create PHP constants with the names
- Added support for WooCommerce Grouped Products
- Added new WooCommerce option to add all order data into the data layer on the order reveived page
** This includes personal data of the customer -> you need to ensure this is used in a privacy friendly and compliant way!
** This order data will be always present on the order received page, even if the page is reloaded or later revisited!
- Removed several unofficial data layer variables on the WooCommerce order received page as they can be read using the new order data option
- Improved: price reporting with the WooCommerce enhanced ecommerce integration now follows the option set with the ‘Display prices in the shop’ option of WooCommerce
- Improved: from WooCommerce 3.7 WC_Abstract_Order::get_used_coupons() was replaced with WC_Abstract_Order::get_coupon_codes() which is now used if WC 3.7+ is detected
- Improved: use localStorage for WooCommerce duplicate transaction tracking prevention if available. Should be work with Safari at least for now.
- Fixed: WooCommerce duplicate transaction tracking prevention’s cookie was set to expire on session end, now adds 1 year.
- Deprecated data layer variable productIsVariable. Use the new productType data layer variable which will equal to simple, variable, grouped or external depending on the type of the product shown
- Fixed: Wrong lookup for product brand name if Use SKU instead of product ID option was turned on
- Fixed: Wrong lookup for product brand name for variable products
- Fixed: check if $woo->customer is initialized
- Fixed: no checkout step reported on WooCommerce checkout page if the user has accepted the default selection of the payment and shipping methods
! Planned deprecation of support for WooCommerce 2.x-3.1.x with next plugin version !
! Planned deprecation of support for WordPress 4.x with next plugin version !
- Fixed: wrong cookie name was used with the newly introduced double transaction tracking protection while setting the cookie
- Fixed: product impressions not properly reported if Products per impressions were set to 0
- Fixed: replaced all references to AdWords to Google Ads
- Added: Automatically add the noscript part of the container code after the opening body tag for WordPress 5.2+ sites where themes support the new wp_body_open action
- Added: add associated taxonomy values for post type
- Added: select brand taxonomy for WooCommerce products to populate “Product brand” dimension in enhanced ecommerce
- Added: add cart content into data layer so that you can personalize your site experience using Google Optimize
- Added: option to remove shipping costs from revenue data on order received page of WooCommerce
- Added: if you enable either enhanced ecommerce or just Google Ads remarketing variables, 3 new data layer variables will be also available about the product on a detail page
- Product rating details (productRatingCounts)
- Average product rating (productAverageRating)
- Review count (productReviewCount)
- Added: if you are using Cloudflare, you can now add the country code HTTP header value into the data layer and read from it with the geoCloudflareCountryCode variable name
- Fixed: better compatibility with Google’s mod_pagespeed
- Fixed: missing product quantity while adding a variable product into the cart
- Fixed: prevent multiple tracking of WooCommerce orders on mobile devices where the mobile browser reloads the order received page from local cache executing GTM tracking again
- Fixed: possible PHP warning if geo data or weather data feature is turned on
- Fixed: handle out of quota cases with ipstack queries properly
- Fixed: proper YouTube tracking for WordPress sites and WordPress multisites installed in a subdirectory
- Fixed: properly detect client IP address and also properly escape this data while using it
- Fixed: WooCommerce checkout steps after page load did not include products in the cart
- Fixed: checkout step events for payment mode and shipping type not always fired
- Fixed: the CMD on Mac will be treated just like the Ctrl key on Windows while processing the product click event in the WooCommerce integration (thy for luzinis)
- Fixed: add currencyCode to every ecommerce action in WooCommerce integration
- Fixed: better WooCommere Quick View integration
- Fixed: possible cross site scripting vulnerability if site search tracking was enabled due to not properly escaped referrer url tracking
- Changed: code cleanup in WooCommerce integration
- Added: initial support for AMP plugin from Automattic (thx koconder for the contribution!)
- Added: option to remove tax from revenue data on order received page of WooCommerce
- Added: WooCommerce enhanced ecommerce datasets now include stock levels
- Added: new productIsVariable data layer variable is set to 1 on variable WooCommerce product pages
- Added: product impressions can now be split into multiple chunks to prevent data loss on large product category and site home pages (thx Tim Zook for the contribution!)
- IMPORTANT! You will need to update your GTM setup, please read the new Step 9 section of the setup tutorial page.
- Added: you can now disable flagging of WooCommerce orders as being already tracked once. In same cases (with iDeal for example) you may need this to make purchase tracking to work.
- Added: uninstalling the plugin will now remove configured plugin options from database
- Added: new advanced plugin option: data layer variable visitorDoNotTrack will include 1 if the user has set the do not track flag in his/her browser
- Added: new data layer event when a user has logged in on the frontend: gtm4wp.userLoggedIn
- Added: new data layer event when a new user has registered on the frontend: gtm4wp.userRegistered
- Added: new advanced plugin option: move data layer declaration and Google Tag Manager container as close as possible to the beginning of the HTML document
- Added: better WP Rocket support
- Updated: Full Google Optimize support. Now the plugin can load your Google Optimize container with the recommended code placement
- Fixed: wrong ecomm_pagetype on product search result pages
- Fixed: PHP notice in some cases when geo data was not loaded properly
- Fixed / Added: freegeoip.net was rebranded to ipstack.com and an API key is needed now even for free usage. You can now add your API key so that weather data and geo data can be added into the data layer
- Warning: some plugin features will be remove from v1.10, most of them can be tracked now using pure Google Tag Manager triggers:
- Social actions
- Outbound link click events
- Download click events
- Email click events
- Warning: PHP 5.6 is now the minimum recommended version to use this plugin. I advise to move to PHP 7.x
- Added: new visitorIP data layer variable to support post-GDPR implementations where for example internal traffic exclusion has to be made inside the browser
- Fixed: added _ as a valid character for gtm_auth GTM environment variable
- Fixed: corrected typo – gtm4wp.checkoutStepEEC
- Fixed: two strings were not recognized by WordPress Translate on the admin page
- Fixed: some other plugins call found_variation event of WooCommerce without product variation data being included
- Fixed: product name included variation name on order received page which broke GA product reports
- Fixed: in some cases, no contact form 7 data was being passed to the gtm4wp.contactForm7Submitted event
- Updated: added CDATA markup around container code for better DOM compatibility
- Updated: removed ‘SKU:’ prefix text from classic ecommerce dimension as it broke some enhanced ecommerce reports
- Fixed: weather data tracking codes could result in fatal PHP error
- Fixed: cart events did to fire while user pressed the Enter key in quantity fields
- Fixed: contact form 7 changed some code which prevented successful form submission tracking
- Changed: links to plugin website updated
- Changed: gtm4wp.cf7formid data layer variable now includes the ID of the form in WordPress
- Added: gtm4wp.cf7inputs includes data that has been filled in the form
- Added: WooCommerce compatibility headers
- Added: admin warning for WooCommerce 2.x users. This plugin will drop support for WooCommerce 2.x soon
- Added: postFormat data layer variable on singular pages
- Added: customer* data layer variables with stored billing and shipping data, total number of orders and total value of those orders (needs WooCommerce 3.x)
- Added: geo* data layer variables to get country, city, lat-lon coordinates of the visitor
- Added: visitorUsername data layer variable with the username of the logged in user
- Added: more detailed checkout reporting for WooCommerce sites
- Add gtm4wp.checkoutStepEEC to your Ecommerce Helper trigger
- Change a typo: gtm4wp.checkoutOptionECC => gtm4wp.checkoutOptionEEC
- Added: option to include full product category path in enhanced ecommerce reporting (can cause performance issues on large sites!)
- Added: initial support for Google Tag Manager Environments
- Added: support for WooCommerce Quick View plugin
- Updated: description of code placement options to clarify what this option does
- Updated: cleanup of readme.txt, spelling and grammar improvements
- Updated: bundled WhichBrowser lib v2.0.32
- Fixed: in some cases, the remove item from cart link in a WooCommerce cart was not altered properly with additional tracking codes
- Fixed: product categories were empty in the cart, on the checkout pages and on the order received page for product variations
- Fixed: checkout option data included checkout step #1 if cart page was setup to be the first
- Fixed: even more WooCommerce 3.x compatibility
- Added: registration date of the logged in user can be added to the data layer
- Updated: geoplugin.net has been replaced by freegeoip.net for weather tracking which has far better quota for free usage
- Updated: Google Ads dynamic remarketing data layer items on a WooCommerce product page will be shown for the root product as well on variable product pages
- Updated: Selecting a product variation will include the price of the product in Google Ads dynamic remarketing data layer items
- Updated: minor code cleanup
- Fixed: PHP 5.3 compatible syntax in frontend.php
- Fixed: PHP error using classic ecommerce with WooCommerce 2.6.x
- Updated: Added data-cfasync=’false’ to all elements to prevent CloudFlare to load scripts async
- Added: Warning for users of PHP 5.4 or older to consider upgrade (FYI: PHP 5.5 and older versions do not get even security fixes)
- Updated: even better WooCommerce 3.0 compatibility (WooCommerce 2.6 still supported but this support ends with the next plugin version)
- Fixed: properly escaping product category name on variable product detail pages
- Fixed: proper data layer stucture in the gtm4wp.changeDetailViewEEC event
- Added: Google Optimize page hiding snippet under Integrations tab
- Added: add to cart data for WooCommerce enhanced ecommerce tracking if user undos a cart item removal (no need to update GTM tags)
- Added: you can now enter a product ID prefix so that IDs can match with IDs in some product feeds generated by other plugins
- Added: option to track cart page as step 1 in enhanced ecommerce checkout funnel
- Fixed: PHP warning message on WooCommerce cart page
- Fixed: Better compatibility with WooCommerce 2.6.x 🙂
- Fixed: do not block product list item clicks if ad blocker is enabled
- Fixed: only track product clicks in product lists if link points to the product detail page URL
- Fixed: PHP warning in backlogs ‘Undefined variable: gtm4wp_options’
- Added: product variation support in WooCommerce integration (enhanced ecommerce implementations should add the GTM event gtm4wp.changeDetailViewEEC to the ecommerce event trigger)
- Updated: better WooCommerce 3.0 compatibility
- Fixed: clicks on products in product list pages redirected to undefined URLs with some themes.
Lots of WooCommerce ecommerce codes has been changed and extended, please double check your measurement after upgrading to this version!
- Added: warning message if you are using PHP 5.3 or older. Browser/OS/Device tracking needs 5.4 or newer
- Added: Email address of the logged in user into the visitorEmail dataLayer variable. Remember: to comply with GTM TOS you are not allowed to pass this data towards any Google tag but you can use this in any other 3rd party tag.
- Added: gtm4wp_eec_product_array WordPress filter so that plugin and theme authors can add their own data for enhanced ecommere product arrays
- Fixed: Order data not present in some cases on the order received page
- Changed: Extended “User SKUs instead of IDs for remarketing” option to be also applied to ecommerce product data arrays
- Changed: Use wc_clean instead of the deprecated function woocommerce_clean
- Changed: New, divided GTM container implemented – a fixed part in the and an iframe part placed using the container placement option you’ve set earlier
- Fixed: WP CLI error message
- Fixed: wrong dynamic remarketing tagging on cart and checkout pages
- Updated: WhichBrowser library to 2.0.22
- Updated: slightly changed container code snippet to prevent W3 Total Cache to alter the code which breaks proper code execution
- Updated: replaced file_get_contents() usage in weather tracking to wp_remote_get() so that it is more compatible with several WP instances
- Updated: YouTube/Video/Soundcloud tracking now tracks videos not embedded using oEmbed (like videos in a widget area)
- Updated: new Vimeo Player API implemented which should solve several issues
- Changed: adapted W3C HTML5 media player event names which changes some events (needs updating your existing GTM setup):
- Soundcloud: finish => ended, seek => seeked
- YouTube: playing => play, paused => pause, playback-rate-change => ratechange
- Vimeo: seek => seeked
- Added: new placement option – ‘off’. This will only generate the data layer but you will need to add the proper GTM container code snippet by hand
- Added: new data layer variable: authorID
- Added: new data layer variable: siteID to be able to track based on blog ID in a multisite environment
- Added: new data layer variable: siteName to be able to track in a multisite environment
- Fixed: remove cart event not fired in WooCommerce 2.6
- Fixed: ecomm_prodid.push error message on product detail pages
- Fixed: proper tracking of cart actions on the cart page for WooCommerce 2.6
- Fixed: ‘Illegal string offset’ errors in some cases in the cart
- Fixed: OpenWeatherMap requires a (free) API key now, you can now enter this to use weather data in data layer
- Fixed: “json_encode() expects parameter 2 to be long, string given” on PHP 5.3 instances
- Fixed: Fatal PHP error in cart if you enabled taxes to be included in your cart
Major changes to the Enhanced Ecommerce implementation of the WooCommerce integration!
- Fixed: proper tracking of list positions
- Fixed: opening product detail page in a new window/tab when user pressed the CTRL key
- Fixed: ecomm_totalvalue included the total price of the cart without taxes
- Fixed: ecomm_totalvalue does not take into account the quantity of ordered products on the order received page
- Fixed: php error message on product lists when Google Ads dynamic remarketing was enabled on WooCommerce 2.6
- Fixed: added data-cfasync=”false” to the GTM container code for better compatibility with CloudFlare
- Added: introducing tracking of list names (general product list, recent products list, featured products list, etc.)
- Some list names (like cross-sells) will be shown as ‘General Product List’. A proposed change in WooCommerce 2.6 will solve that issue
- Added: tracking product lists in widgets
- Added: tracking checkout options (payment and shipment)
- Updated: better add-to-cart / remove-from-cart management in mini cart and while updating cart content
- Updated: added currency code to each enhanced ecommerce call so that currency reporting is OK for multi currency sites
- Updated: replaced usage of get_currentuser() to keep compatibility with WordPress 4.5
- Fixed: subtabs on admin page now showing in certain cases
- Fixed: error message when running the site using WP CLI (thanks Patrick Holberg Hesselberg)
- Fixed: some typos on admin page
- Fixed: dismissable notices did not disappear in some cases
- Fixed: tracking of Twitter event cased sometimes JS errors
- Fixed: site search tracking caused sometimes PHP errors when HTTP_REFERER was not set
- Updated: preparation for translate.wordpress.org
- Added: support for multiple container IDs
- Added: added form ID when sending a Contact Form 7 form. Variable name: gtm4wp.cf7formid
- Fixed: PHP errors in frontend.php and admin.php
- Added: track embedded YouTube/Vimeo/Soundcloud videos (experimental)
- Added: new checkbox – use product SKU for Google Ads Dynamic Remarketing variables instead of product ID (experimental)
- Added: place your container code after the opening body tag without modifying your theme files (thx Yaniv Friedensohn)
- Added: automatic codeless container code injection for Genesis framework users
- Fixed: Possible PHP error with custom payment gateway (QuickPay) on the checkout page (thx Damiel for findig this)
The plugin itself is now declared as stable. This means that it should work with most WordPress instances.
From now on each version will include features labeled as:
- Beta: the feature has been proven to work for several users but it can still have some bugs
- Experimental: new feature that needs proper testing with more users
- Deprecated: this feature will be removed in a future version
If you see any issue with beta or experimental functions just disable the checkbox. Using this error messages should disappear.
Please report all bugs found in my plugin using the contact form on my website.
- Fixed: wrong GTM container code when renaming default dataLayer variable name (thx Vassilis Papavassiliou)
- Fixed: Enhanced Ecommerce product click data was “undefined” in some cases (thx Sergio Alen)
- Fixed: wrong user role detection while adding visitorType to the dataLayer (thx Philippe Vachon-Rivard)
- Changed: only add visitorId to the dataLayer if there is a logged in user
- Added: feature labels so that you can see beta, experimental and deprecated features
- Deprecated: outbound click, email click and download click events. You should use GTM trigger events instead
- Fixed: PHP error message: missing get_shipping function using WooCommerce 2.3.x
- Added: visitorId dataLayer variable with the ID of the currently logged in user to track userID in Google Analytics
- Added: WordPress filter hook so that other templates and plugins can get access to the GTM container code before outputting it
- Fixed: ‘variation incorrect’ issue by Sharken03
- Fixed: error messages in WooCommerce integration when product has no categories
- Fixed: add_inline_js errors in newer versions of WooCommerce
- Fixed: error message when some device/browser/OS data could not be set
- Fixed: tracking Twitter events was broken
- Fixed: broken links when listing subcategories instead of products (thanks Jon)
- Fixed: wheather/weather typo (thanks John Hockaday)
- Fixed: wrong usage of get_the_permalink() instead of get_permalink() (thanks Szepe Viktor)
- Fixed: PHP error in enhanced ecommerce implementation when using layered nav widget
- Updated: Added subtabs to the admin UI to make room for new features 🙂
- Updated: WhichBrowser library to the latest version
- Added: You can now dismiss plugin notices permanently for each user
- Added: weather data. See updated plugin description for details
- Added: Enhanced E-commerce for WooCommerce (experimental!)
- Fixed: PHP notice in frontend.php script. Credit to Daniel Sousa
- Fixed: WooCommerce 2.1.x compatibility
- Updated/Fixed: dataLayer variables are now populated at the end of the head section. Using this the container code can appear just after the opening body tag, thus Webmaster Tools verification using Tag Manager option will work
- Added: blacklist or whitelist tags and macros to increase security of your Tag Manager setup
- Updated: better add-to-cart events for WooCommerce, it includes now product name, SKU and ID
- Added: browser, OS and device data to dataLayer variables
- Added: postCountOnPage and postCountTotal dataLayer variables to track empty categories/tags/taxonomies
- Fixed: WooCommerce integration did not work on some environments
- Added: scroll tracking
- Fixed: social tracking option on the admin panel was being shown as an edit box instead of a checkbox
- Fixed: WooCommerce transaction data was not included in the dataLayer if you selected “Custom” code placement
- Fixed: do not do anything if you enabled WooCommerce integration but did not activate WooCommerce plugin itself
- Updated: do not re-declare dataLayer variable if it already exists (because another script already created it before my plugin was run)
- Added: you can now select container code placement. This way you can insert the code snippet after the opening body tag. Please read FAQ for details
- Added: initial support for social event tracking for Facebook and Twitter buttons. Please read FAQ for details
- Updated: event name on successful WooCommerce transaction: OrderCompleted -> gtm4wp.orderCompleted
- Fixed: frontend JS codes did not load on some WordPress installs
- Updated: admin page does not show an alert box if Tag Manager ID or dataLayer variable name is incorrect. Instead it shows a warning line below the input field.
- Updated: rewritten the code for WooCommerce dynamic remarketing. Added tag for homepage and order completed page.
- ! BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE ! – Names of Tag Manager click events has been changed to comply with naming conventions:
- ContactFormSubmitted -> gtm4wp.contactForm7Submitted
- DownloadClick -> gtm4wp.downloadClick
- EmailClick -> gtm4wp.emailClick
- OutboundClick -> gtm4wp.outboundClick
- AddProductToCart -> gtm4wp.addProductToCart
- Updated: click events are now disabled by default to reflect recently released Tag Manager auto events. I do not plan to remove this functionality. You can decide which solution you would like to use 🙂
- Updated: language template (pot) file and Hungarian translation
- Added: new form move events to track how visitors interact with your (comment, contact, etc.) forms
- Added: event names to admin options page so that you know what events to use in Google Tag Manager
- Added: Google Tag Manager icon to admin settings page
- Added: Settings link to admin plugins page
- Fixed: null value in visitorType dataLayer variable if no logged in user exists (now ‘visitor-logged-out’)
- First beta release